IN HONOR OF PASTOR RICHARD C. MERRILL’S 30 YEARS OF MINISTRY,
WE GIVE THANKS AND HIGHLIGHT
30 WAYS PASTOR MERRILL MINISTERS TO US.
Pastor Merrill is our Good Shepherd who looks after his whole flock by…
1. administering the Holy Sacraments and prayerfully delivering his daily devotions.
2. his confirmation and premarital instruction.
3. teaching Adult Bible Class and leading Bible Study.
4. his love of all of our children and grandchildren.
5. his faithful visits to our nursing home residents and hospital patients.
6. his wonderful sermons based on Scripture accentuated by music.
7. delivering enlightening children’s messages sharing the love of Jesus.
8. comforting bereavement and funeral messages emphasizing the gift of eternal life.
9. faithfulness to LWML, LYF and the various branches of our church council.
10. willingness to serve three parishes and being accountable to all.
11. being so knowledgeable about Scripture but continuing to study and share.
12. accepting responsibility for circuit and district duties.
13. biking for church causes and staying healthy, leading by example.
14. opening his office to us for counseling and private communion.
15. always being kind and never disparaging others. Never!
16. always thinking of ways for children to know Jesus...inviting them to Vacation Bible School, Sunday School and encouraging them to play on the playground.
17. inviting the community to learn more about the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
18. making his presence at the Charter Oak-Ute and MVAOCOU Schools sharing lunch, attending events, showing our students he cares about them even if only one of our students is involved.
19. his commitment to the mission field at home and abroad.
20. his dedication to Concordia Cub Weeks at Camp Okoboji.
21. his knowledge of our church constitution and Robert’s Rules of Orders so the St. John Council and Voters Assembly can proceed properly.
22. his strong faith and devotion to the ministry.
23. his clear voice helping us to understand faith, grace and the Word.
24. knowing us by our names.
25. being observant, patient, and listening to our concerns.
26. being open to technological changes.
27. not being deterred in his ministry by rain/snow/sleet/hail or the pandemic!
28. being aware of the community at large, attending town council meetings, and supporting emergency needs.
29. serving others, expecting nothing in return, as he walks in the light of God.
30. following God’s will through Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior.
We are thankful Pastor Merrill accepted our call to St. John Lutheran Church,
Charter Oak, Iowa, in 2005, and continues to stay by our side, imperfect as we are!